I had a horrible encounter with my doctor’s office today. I had been feeling iffy about my doctor from the get-go, but this incident has me convinced that I need to switch.
Without getting too graphic—since I know my brothers read this blog—I was worried yesterday that there was a chance I might be leaking amniotic fluid. This is not a good thing, especially early on in a pregnancy. My symptoms had cleared up by this morning, but I decided to call my doctor’s office anyway, just for peace of mind. I wanted to know what I should be looking for, should I ever experience those symptoms again.
I called this morning, left a message with the OB coordinator (you can’t even leave a message for a nurse or doctor in this place), and waited until 3:30 when she finally called me back. I described to her what was going on and explained that it seemed to have cleared up. Initially, she said that I was fine and that if I were actually leaking amniotic fluid, I would know it. Then, after I pumped her for a little more information, she changed on a dime and said that I needed to go to the hospital immediately. She said, and I quote, “If you don’t go, your baby may die.” I was confused. Hadn’t she just said I was fine two seconds ago? I asked her for clarification and she said, huffily, “Hold on, let me talk to the doctor.”
Wait, shouldn’t she have talked to the doctor in the first place before saying my baby might die?
So she got back on the phone and said that since my symptoms have stopped, I didn’t need to go to the hospital, but I should be seen in the office the next day. Then she said that if the symptoms returned before my appointment, I needed to go to the hospital immediately because this was a very serious situation.
Then she transferred me to the scheduling agent. The scheduling chick was like, “Hmmmm…there’s no time for anyone to see you tomorrow. Are you sure you don’t just want to go to the hospital right now?” At this point, I was totally freaked out, so of course I said, “Yes! I will go to the hospital.”
Then she put me on hold again. When she returned she said, “Actually, you can’t go to the hospital because this isn’t an emergency.”
Huh? Are these people playing mind games with me? One minute they’re telling me that this is a very serious situation, possibly resulting in the death of my baby. And now it’s no big deal?
So I of course told her that they were scaring me with all of this back and forth. She said she’d have the OB coordinator call me back and hung up post-haste.
At this point I was in tears. The OB coordinator called back and told me that the doctor could see me at 2:30 tomorrow. So I said, “Just to clarify here, I don’t need to go to the hospital?” She said no and hung up without another word.
Okaaaaaaay. So…WTF? I wasn’t worried at all until I called the doctor for peace of mind. Forget about the fact that I never got to talk to a doctor, but I got the exact opposite of peace of mind. I think baby and I are ok. If my symptoms return, I’ll go to the hospital tonight, otherwise I’ll keep my 2:30 appointment. But now I am really scared and sad and upset.
I could use some virtual hugs. And maybe some positive thoughts and prayers thrown in the mix. I’ll keep you guys updated.